I have had people asking me how to make ChowMein (chinese fried noodles) and telling me that the noodles they make just doesn’t taste as nice as the once they buy from a restaurant.
The chow mein from the Chinese shops can be too oily and salty, with a lot of MSG in it…
Why not make your own with this easy, under budget and delicious recipe?
I used spaghetti for this recipe because I like the chewy noodles, you can use chinese egg noodles too.
3-4 portions of spaghetti, boiled till half cooked
1 table spoon of oil
1 onion, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
5 baby marrows, sliced
5 mushrooms, sliced
2 big chicken breasts, sliced (I added a bit of left over steak)
3/4 cup of low sodium kikkoman soy sauce (please don’t use other soy sauce unless it’s from a chinese store)
1/4 cup of pasta water
1 table spoon of sweet chilli sauce
- In the frying pan, or a wok, heat up oil and fry onions over medium heat.
- Add chicken and cook it until it’s done.
- Add the vegetables and fry for 2 mins.
- Add the noodles and mix well.
- Mix the soy sauce, water and sweet chilli sauce in a bowl.
- Pour the sauce mixture into the pan.
- Turn the heat down and put the lid on, cook for 2 mins.
- Open the lid and stir well until the top part of the noodles is in the sauce.
- Cook until the vegetables are soft and noodles have the flavour.
Xoxo Love Tammy